Whether you’re the type of bride who has been dreaming of your wedding dress since you were a young girl or the bride who’s never given a thought about what she will wear on her wedding day, we have got you covered! The following bride guide shows you how to pick a wedding dress that is best for you and your (amazing) body type! Read to the end for helpful tips crafted by the Designed Dream Events team that every bride should know before dress shopping day.
This cut is a flattering and traditional shape that hugs all the right places. Perfect for curvy, pear, petite, or those looking for a slimming effect.
A lavish cut to match a lavish celebration! Works well for slender or hourglass frames and those who want to flaunt their figures as the dress will draw attention to the midriff and hip area.
An elegant, modern, and comfortable style similar to a sheath that spotlights a tall, willowy bride’s features, or can elongate a petite bride to make her appear taller.
A dress to highlight those curves! The fit contours the body from the chest to the knee and will emphasize the waist and hips (instead of narrowing them). Tip: Don’t forget to ensure you can sit and get your groove on the dance floor when trying on a mermaid style dress.
Consider a shorter dress if your wedding involves a beach, brunch, or a simple, casual, or unique theme. These untraditional lengths can be a fun way to showcase your personality.
A tea-length dress also comes with the possibility of life after the wedding day. Consider upcycling or altering the dress (get creative!) to continue its life as a cocktail dress.
A voluminous princess ball gown offers drama without compromising a classic, traditional look. Keep in mind, when you pick a wedding dress, that a full silhouette can sometimes overwhelm a petite frame or can accentuate the waist and make you look larger. Suggested for brides with slimmer hips and bigger busts.
- Slip – Minimal, simple, elegant – this dress fits like a glove. Sometimes recommended to be made with necklines or back details for more character.
- Sheath – An elegant and structured tailor-made dress similar to the column style, made to showcase a slender figure.
- Jumpsuits or Suits – A bridal jumpsuit or suit makes a bold, fresh, modern statement allowing the bride a sleek and comfortable style that can be recycled down the road.
- Art Deco or Vintage Dresses – These dresses embody glamour, luxury, and elegant magnificence through lush and shimmering textures and embellishments.
- Colored Dresses – For those who shy away from traditional white or ivory dresses, colored wedding dresses are an on-trend way to highlight style and personality with shades of blush, mint, blue or black.
What To Know Before Trying On Wedding Dresses
Check out the tips below to keep in mind before choosing a wedding dress.
These will help you stay focused on YOUR vision for the perfect dress, even with all of the *often unwanted* opinions that will be flying at you (we see you, mothers-in-law).
- Figure out your wedding budget and timeline – and do not stray or look at gowns outside of this.
- Always keep the venue and theme in mind to ensure they complement each other.
- When in doubt order the dress slightly bigger than smaller. It’s always easier to take away fabric than add.
- Consider how you feel in the dress. Make sure you can move, dance, sit, and interact with your guests in your dress. No matter how gorgeous the dress is, it’s not worth compromising your comfort.
- The important thing is that your gown makes you feel good, confident, and happy!
- Consider donating your wedding dress to THE BRIDES PROJECT, a Toronto based charity that helps fund cancer research through your once in a lifetime wedding gown. Visit www.thebridesproject.com for more details.
- Hot tip in our current COVID era- Try a local bridal boutique! Shopping local helps a business in your community thrive and possibly survive what has been an already tough year for small businesses.
When to start tanning for wedding? [spray tan vs tanning bed]
What your wedding dress says about you? [vintage, boho, modern]
How to accessorize a simple wedding dress? [earrings, jewelry, shoes]
How to accessorize a royal blue dress for a wedding?
How to store wedding dress before wedding? [garment bag & train]
What color shoes to wear with navy blue dress to wedding?
What Color Nail Polish With Navy Blue Dress For A Wedding
What To Do With Old Wedding Dresses?
What to Wear to a Yacht Wedding? [yacht club wedding attire]
Why do grooms wear black?
What to wear for 25th wedding anniversary party?
What length of dress is appropriate for a wedding? | Dress Codes